secret place on Earth

Monday, May 30, 2011

Why is there a need for higher education?

I was thinking, what will actually happen if I decide to skip my tertiary education NOW. 

I’m surely going to continue what I’m doing now- job-hopping and working on a contractual basis.  It is generally stress-free  but there is just so much I can do when I’m following the wind. I don’t have the money to bring my parents out of retirement, I don’t have money to support any initiatives… so there is time but no money to spend. 

So is higher education the only solution for a good prospective employment? University graduates are equipped with  the  prior knowledge of the particular industry they have been studying about even before they step into the workforce so that put them in an advantageous position.

I’m also noticing many young people around me who are not pursuing their higher education. Superficially (I’m not sure …), there didn’t seem to be any dissatisfaction in their standard of living.

And what we often quote as “experience” would have  a substantial part to play when we have to prove our productivity to our employers because our sole tangible asset, that is our academic certificate, is just overrated and massified.

Yes experience is important. If you are lenient enough, you can consider me to have a year of working experience. But I don’t know how to present my experience to you if you don’t give me enough time. (testimonials and referrals letters are great but they don’t work all the time because the contents are subjective) But a certificate is different, it can package my experience in school in the most presentable manner and most people would understand.

For a very long time, I thought it is compulsory to “buy” higher education in order to maintain a competitive edge in the society. Actually I think it is still true… because I don’t dare to have a social standing that is less than a mediocre in a highly knowledge-based society.

I’ve tried hard to “buy” it but I failed twice. What is wrong? because my grades were already less than mediocre in the first place! 

Now I’m appealing to be a consumer of the higher education market. I want to receive education from a local autonomous university in particular. I don’t want to just spend money and go through the process of studying again for the sake of a cert. If that’s the case, I should just settle for a local private institution and the resulting certificate shouldn’t lose out too much in terms of its accreditation. I am quite sure that I want an education that suit my varied interest across a few academic areas. I want to step into the workforce 4 yrs later, knowing and appreciating the management of our society which is dependent on the interconnectedness of various specialised industries. In this way, then I can consider myself to be equipped with knowledge and skills in my field of study in the best possible way.

how? enough pride and ego or not? I can’t forget how lama was seemingly directing at me for not setting clear goals and objectives in life. And the way to do it is to be successful and generate pride for it , of course in moderation.

7:31 pm