secret place on Earth

Friday, January 14, 2011

GP was a nightmare 2 years back

Tonight’s teaching from lama was mostly based on having a balance in life. and concluded with “reaping what you sow”.

Very rarely do I dare to discuss profound topics like these. It’s like GP- that’s why I HATE to be forced to write essays on such topics. It feels so unreal of me to be coming up with the content because I was just pretending to write something that sound professional and intellectual back then. So I was never proud of any of my GP essays and I have never scored well in them.

And the reason why I don’t write my essays with my heart is simply because I did not have enough personal experience that could relate me to the topic.  What we were taught to do was to accumulate as much knowledge (as in facts, statistics..) about some of the predictable topics. And perhaps the next step to that was to just take a stand and use our logic to rationalise and argue our way out.

Yes there are people of my age who could do GP very well. And as far as I’ve noticed, they already had very good command of the English language.  By having good english certainly puts you at an advantage when you’re trying to express everything that comes to your mind. But people with good English don’t necessarily do well in GP.  That’ when some gp tutors say sth went wrong with their logic.

I. still. don’t. quite. understand. the. point. of. doing. GP.

So it that a test on your language skills or logic? ok lah very obviously, it’s both. But who is to judge who’s logic is right or wrong? I rmb that there were a few times when I felt that I made complete sense but my gp tutor just told me off.

Anw I’m here not to criticize the examinable subject-GP.

It’s hard to do so when I don’t give any examples.

But I must also admit that GP had played an important role in the development of my thinking skills.

This is quite personal for me because I felt that the focus in GP was too much on ways and means to push your way through the essay. This was what I’ve registered from my gp tutor’s lessons, maybe it’s not true for the other students.

And in that sense, that sort of way of using my logic did affect the way I think in everyday life.

So for me, I finally got out from a year of intellectualisation and currently reviewing many former GP topics through the practice of spirituality.

12:25 am