I've just came back from the ahem, supposedly "highly intellectual" leaders' camp. honestly, I wasn't very pleased with what had happened this morning which was the 2nd day of the camp. but I kinda like the dialogue session on the first night and the motive of the camp, more thought could have been put into the type of leadership activities to optimise learning.
From what I view the camp in general, here are the things they were trying to drive at:
- you're here because you're on a mission to make an impact and improve the school in the long run, best if you can make it big after you've graduated to strengthen the school's alumni
-learn to make super rational decisions to be successful (I don't quite see the link between this and the objectives of the camp but I like this component)
-importance of developing interpersonal mutual trust. (I think the topic on building trust is hard to be touched on. everyone knows it's important to trust your partners and a trust is not easy to be established. There has got to be a basis for trust to be developed. For instance, A believed everything that B says just so because both parties share a good relationship and A believes in B as a person. However, the r/s got betrayed for some reason. A seems to be the victim of the situation but others may argue that that was pure naiveness as A did not guard against the worst side of B. but that would show that there is a certain level of doubtingness in the r/s, so the parties are not trusting each other wholeheartedly? What I would like to learn to how to be discerning which comes about through experiences,instead of realising the importance of trust. Therefore, I'm totally against those dumb trust-falling games. I was confident to fall on my friends because physics told me to do so not just because I trust the supporters. but ar, the cheerleading one is another story.)
-challenge our AQ at Yunan ? This one I have to agree.
-taking initiatives to get work done in the smartest way.
So I was saying that there are limitations to teambuilding games like the waterbottle and raffia string game and the trust-falling games. -_- they are helpful in elementary adventure camps like you know, pri 5 or sec 2 camps? because these kids gotta learn to take the first step of working in a team but keeping in mind that, these games are not actual representations of real life situations. seriously, are you just gonna fall into the arms of any stranger and trust that he won't molest you? You tell me, then are we all lacking the knowledge of what constitutes to teamwork at the ripen age of 17?! haven't we all identified enough team problems alr?
=(